Friday, May 25, 2007

When Shastri didn't know what he was talking

One evening, after India lost to South Africa in South Africa (it was some years ago, but as usual the batting crumbled etc) a caller called on ESPN and asked Harsha Bhogle whether it was fair to observe that Tendulkar was not as prolific a scorer in the second innings of a match as he was in the first innings. Shastri, who seems to have taken upon himself the primary role of protecting Tendulkar from adverse comments - fair or unfair - angrily suggested that the caller didn't understand cricket. I felt sorry for the caller, just thinking of how embarassing it might be for someone to suggest publicly that he didn't understand cricket. So I got curious and reached out to www.cricinfo.com where they have some fantastic statistics in a nice searchable form. I found some interesting results, and published them in an article I had titled"Arrogant Error". I was just a tad surprised as I saw that my article had made it to the home page www.rediff.com under the headline "Tendulkar's Second Innings Inconsistency". Of course Arrogant Error wasn't a saleable title. Here is the article.

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/nov/07guest.htm

No comments: